My photo
Agree with me? Drop me an email or leave a comment. Don't agree? Drop me a line anyway.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

So here we are, the internet and I

So here we are the internet and I.

I have a counter on this thing and see that 26 visits have occurred in the last 24 hours, all from me as I posted the last entry and checked and rechecked spelling, etc.

It makes me feel insignificant in some strange way although it shouldn't. I begin to see the problem with seeking employment on the internet or via the web.

It's a problem of volume. Sheer, unadulterated volume. A avalanche of resumes sent helter skelter into the oblivion of a automated email reply box and some poor bastard's responsibility to review later.

How do I know this? Well I had two openings under myself at my last job that I was seeking to be filled via Monster.com

The first week saw about 50 resumes per opening, which I had to review. The main problem being there are only so many hours in any given day or week to give to what frankly I considered a secondary task to my core responsibilities.

So now I am on the receiving end of this the shit train of woe, with myself as most probably the caboose. How do I differentiate myself from the pack, the herd, the undulating mass of flesh of hundreds of applicants for each position sought?

Frankly...I ask myself for each application, is this where I really want to go?

This certainly isn't what I dreamed of being as a kid. I wanted to be an astronaut.

Not some middle range management level prick, cracking the whip on lowly newbies into the IT field to drive some product for a corporation that won't be attending my funeral much less showing any actual appreciation for anything I have accomplished for their bottom line. Hell my boss would be taking credit for anything I did anyhow.

Let me rephrase, my headstone won't say..."He was a helluva of a manager."

So now I ask myself, who am I living for? The corporation or myself?


Welcome to Detroit

No comments:

Post a Comment