My photo
Agree with me? Drop me an email or leave a comment. Don't agree? Drop me a line anyway.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Beatty Lost All Leverage For Plea Deal


It appears that the case against Christine Beatty is heading for a trial where her already confessed co-defendant, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, could be presented as a witness against her.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, no plea agreement had been reached between Beatty's lawyers and the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office.

"We have nothing at this point," said her lawyer, Mayer Morganroth. "Looks like we'll be in court Thursday."

Beatty faces charges including perjury, obstruction of justice and official misconduct in office in connection with alleged lies she and Kilpatrick told under oath to hide their affair and their roles in firing a top police official.

And once Kilpatrick is sentenced on Oct. 28 for his part in the crimes, he could be forced to testify, said Larry Dubin, a professor at University of Detroit Mercy Law School. Refusal to testify could result in contempt of court that could lengthen Kilpatrick's sentence or increase other sanctions against him.

The charges carry penalties of up to 15 years in prison, but a sentence guideline report in the court's file recommends she serve one to two years behind bars if convicted.

Source
_______________________________________________

I almost feel sorry for Beatty....almost.

She must feel totally used by about now, Kilpatrick left quite a wake of destruction in his path and no doubt Beatty feels she has been in no small way effected as well as all of Detroit.

I say I would feel worse for her but I think she was on just as big of a power trip as Kilpatrick was during her tenure.

They felony charges though appeared to be a wake up call for Beatty as her resignation was quickly offered in light of the text messages becoming public knowledge.

I also think the text messages hold much more damning evidence than the public even realizes...we got to hear some of the "sexy" parts but I am putting my money on the odds that they contain everything from racial slurs to evidence of other crimes committed while in office for both her and Kilpatrick.

Beatty looks like a person beat down, and that makes me sympathetic as I said, but to a degree no more than I would for a war crimes officer stating he (she) was only acting as ordered.

Beatty no longer has anything to offer prosecution to shorten her punishment, I have a feeling Kwami was doing a high level of sweet talking to Christine to get her to not turn evidence against him.

In the end I am glad this chapter is closing....unless the text messages reveal even more.



Welcome To Detroit




No comments:

Post a Comment